Select a profile (DNA file) from the list:
What's included in Ancient DNA Origins?
- The Ancient DNA Origins DNA test provides powerful, innovative, and interactive DNA-based tools to help you find your ancient ancestors, trace your prehistorical lineages, and determine your ancient tribal origins.
- Find out how related you are to the Chumash Paleo Indians (477-1828 AD).
- Receive a detailed breakdown of your ancient geographical origins, ancient ancestry maps showing where your ancestors lived and traveled, and your exact genetic similarity to each member of your ancient tribe.
- Compare your results with over 50 worldwide ancient and modern populations.
- After ten centuries, you can reconnect with your Chumash Paleo Indians ancestors at a deeper level than ever imagined.
- Be a part of this millennia-long quest to trace the origins and descendants of the ancient Native Americans from California using the power of genetics.
- Be a part of the American story – Their Story can be Your Story.
- Basic test includes 5 Chumash.
- Advanced test includes 15 Chumash.
About the test
The name Chumash means “bead maker” or “seashell people. For millennia, the Chumash people lived along the California coast. So old is their culture they call themselves the first people. Though their roots go to the Santa Barbara Channel, at their height, their territory covered 7,000 square miles in over 150 independent villages from what is now Malibu to the San Joaquin Valley. Have you ever dreamed of making rock art after a vision quest? Or fishing on a tomol and trading using shell beads? We obtained the DNA of ancient Chumash from four sites throughout California that lived between 477 to 1,828 AD. The test provides a detailed history of fourteen Chumash Paleo Indians, their haplogroup breakdown, and history of encounters with other people and summarizes the evidence as to their whereabouts. The test includes a detailed historical, archeological, and paleogenetic background on the Chumash Paleo Indians, including how they lived, their cultic practices and mysticism, treatment of others, and their deeds. A detailed profile is available for every Chumash.
Why take this test
Up until 2010, reading the DNA of ancient people was a dream. Since then, the DNA of the Neanderthal who lived over 30,000 years ago has been sequenced. After that reading, the DNA of ancient people who lived from 15,000 BC to 1,800 AD all over the world became the main object of paleogenomic research. This forward leap in technology allowed the creation of a new type of DNA tests — tests that do not use modern-day populations as stand-ins for the ancient tribes but rather go right to the source and study these ancient peoples themselves.
The Ancient DNA Origins DNA test is the first next-generation DNA test. It is designed solely using the DNA of ancient people throughout history using our novel technologies.
With this test, you will receive a precise ancient ethnicity estimate with far greater geographical details than you could imagine. You will make new connections with historical people and places where your ancestors lived, walked, battled, created, and dreamed thousands of years ago. Using the genetic data and evidence from history and archeology, we can revive the past and allow you to take part in this story at the most personal level.