Select a profile (DNA file) from the list:
What's included in Ancient DNA Origins?
- The Ancient DNA Origins DNA test provides powerful, innovative, and interactive DNA-based tools to help you find your ancient ancestors, trace your prehistorical lineages, and determine your ancient tribal origins.
- Find out how related you are to the Ptolemaic Egyptians (723-100 BC).
- Receive a detailed breakdown of your ancient geographical origins, ancient ancestry maps showing where your ancestors lived and traveled, and your exact genetic similarity to each member of your ancient tribe.
- Compare your results with over 50 worldwide ancient and modern populations.
- After ten centuries, you can reconnect with your Egyptian ancestors at a deeper level than ever imagined.
- Be a part of this millennia-long quest to trace the origins and descendants of ancient Egyptians using the power of genetics.
- Be a part of the Ptolemaic story – Their Story can be Your Story.
- Basic test includes 5 Egyptians.
- Advanced test includes 15 Egyptians.
About the test
Were you ever curious about the ancient Egyptians? Did you ever visit the Great Pyramids? Did you ever want to be there when Queen Cleopatra and Antony battled Octavius Caesar? We obtained the DNA of three Egyptians from mummies found during the excavations at the Abusire el-Meleq Archeological Site. This site was used as a burial site by the ancient Egyptians from about 3250 BC to the Ptolemaic and Roman periods. The individuals sequenced lived between 826 and 52 BC, from the pre-Ptolemaic period till the Roman period. The test provides a detailed history of ancient Egyptians from the Ptolemaic till the Roman periods, their haplogroup breakdown, and history of encounters with other people and summarizes the evidence as to their whereabouts. The test includes a detailed historical, archeological, and paleogenetic background on the ancient Egyptians, including how they lived, their cultic practices and mysticism, treatment of others, and their deeds. A detailed profile is available for every Egyptian mummy.
Why take this test
Up until 2010, reading the DNA of ancient people was a dream. Since then, the DNA of the Neanderthal who lived over 30,000 years ago has been sequenced. After that reading, the DNA of ancient people who lived from 15,000 BC to 1,800 AD all over the world became the main object of paleogenomic research. This forward leap in technology allowed the creation of a new type of DNA tests — tests that do not use modern-day populations as stand-ins for the ancient tribes but rather go right to the source and study these ancient peoples themselves.
The Ancient DNA Origins DNA test is the first next-generation DNA test. It is designed solely using the DNA of ancient people throughout history using our novel technologies.
With this test, you will receive a precise ancient ethnicity estimate with far greater geographical details than you could imagine. You will make new connections with historical people and places where your ancestors lived, walked, battled, created, and dreamed thousands of years ago. Using the genetic data and evidence from history and archeology, we can revive the past and allow you to take part in this story at the most personal level.