What's included in Ancient DNA Origins?
- The Ancient DNA Origins DNA test provides powerful, innovative, and interactive DNA-based tools to help you find your ancient ancestors, trace your prehistorical lineages and determine your ancient tribal origins.
- Find out how related you are to the inhabitants and Vikings of Scotland (664-1020 AD) found at four sites in Orkney. from these sites Maps data: (C) Google Maps 2023
- Receive a detailed breakdown of your ancient geographical origins, ancient ancestry maps showing where your ancestors lived and traveled, and your exact genetic similarity to each member of your ancient tribe.
- Compare your results with over 50 worldwide ancient and modern populations.
- Reach out and reconnect with your over 1000-year-old Viking ancestors who spread from West-Central Europe to Scandinavia and Scotland.
- Be a part of this millennia-old quest to trace the origin of Vikings using the power of genetics.
- Meet the Vikings who established Orkney's society and government – Their story can be your story.
- Basic test includes 5 members.
- Advanced test includes 15 members.
About the test
The Vikings established well-organized and efficient societies, with systems of government based on the Norse Thing or assembly. They were skilled traders and established extensive trade networks with other Norse settlements in Scotland, Ireland, and beyond. The Vikings of Orkney built impressive structures, including the famous St. Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall, which is still standing today. They also constructed sophisticated drainage systems and water supply networks, which allowed them to farm the land more efficiently.
The Vikings left a lasting cultural and genetic legacy in Scotland. Many Scottish surnames have Viking origins, such as McIvor, MacIver, and MacLeod. The Vikings also influenced Scottish language and literature, with many Scottish words and phrases having Viking roots.
We obtained the DNA of 15 ancient Vikings from three sites in Orkney for the inhabitants and Vikings who lived there between 361 and 1020 AD. The test provides a detailed history of Scotland Vikings from Medieval times, their haplogroup breakdown, and their history of encounters with other people and summarizes the evidence as to their whereabouts. The test includes a detailed historical, archeological, and paleogenetic background on the Orkney inhabitants and Vikings, including how they lived, their cultic practices and mysticism, their treatment of others, and their deeds. A detailed profile is available for every ancient person.